We all know first-hand how challenging it can be to stay healthy at work –sometimes it feels like you just can’t get ahead no matter how hard you try. Between the brownies at the lunch carry-in or the constant sitting all day, you may feel like you are hindering your health goals rather than improving them when you’re at work 5+ days a week.
Did You Know?
Your health plays an important role for both you and your employer. Living a healthy lifestyle can help both businesses and employees to reap many benefits (during and outside of work hours).
- Employees who eat healthy are 25% more likely to have increased productivity
- Employees who exercise at least 3x a week, for 30 minutes or more each of those days, have a 15% higher performance rate than those who do not
- Overweight employees cost companies $73.1 billion a year and file twice as many compensation complaints
- Healthy employees have reduced healthcare costs
- Studies show that a person’s health is one of the strongest predictors of their happiness (the healthier you are = the happier you are!)
Forming healthy habits can make the workplace more fun, and give you and your employees something to connect about. Here are a few easy-to-implement ideas to help you stay healthy at work in 2017 and the years beyond.
5 Health Improvement Tips for the Workplace
- Request a standing-sitting desk option – Sitting all day long can make your body tired and your days seem long. The benefits of a standing/sitting convertible desk are endless. Ask your employer to provide you with an option to stand vs sit throughout the day, which in turn can help improve productivity, blood flow to the brain and overall posture.
- Implement a healthy snack bar – This could be a “healthy snack bar” at your desk (just save one drawer for all of your healthy snacks!) or you could request a healthy snack bar in the break room. Instead of having to purchase unhealthy snacks from the vending machine, ask your employer if they would be willing to stock a healthy snack bar each and every week, filled with bananas, apples, oranges and healthy granola bars. Employees can pay 50 cents per item. This is cost effective and easy on the scale.
- Start a wellness program – A wellness program, put together by a “wellness committee” is a great way for employees to interact and get the whole team on board the “healthy train”, headed for success. Help build a culture of health at the workplace, encouraging employees to take on active habits throughout the workday and at 数字货币有哪些_合约交易市场home. Here are some tips to get started with an effective corporate wellness plan.
- Set water drinking goals – Staying hydrated throughout the day is vital to both health and overall happiness. Make hydration benchmarks on your calendar throughout the day or on the outside of your water bottle (ie: at 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM). Aim to drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water to reduce the toxins in your body and stay appropriately hydrated.
- Automate getting out of your seat – If you are stuck behind a computer screen all day, make sure you take 5-10 minute breaks at least every 2 hours. Whether you go outside and take a walk around the building, or just stand up and move your attention away from the screen, you will quickly rejuvenate both your mental and physical wellness. Plus, studies show that getting up and moving during the workday can help to reduce stress. “Brain breaks” are necessary throughout the day – get up and MOVE!
How do you encourage a healthy lifestyle at work? We would love to hear your ideas! Please share with email@example.com and we will post your ideas to our social channels!